Q1 Update: Where is Mobile eCommerce in 2014?

Online Shopping with a Mobile DeviceThe way that consumers use the Internet has evolved over the last few years due to a few factors. First of all, the speed of the Internet on a mobile device has drastically improved, as has the web-enabled mobile devices consumers have available to them. And further, the amount of people that own smartphones and tablets has grown, which has led to use of these devices in an increasing number of situations, i.e., browsing a phone during a commute to work on the subway, surfing the Internet while waiting for an appointment at the doctor’s office or digesting information using a tablet during a lunch hour. With that, businesses are now faced with a consumer that can be connected 24/7/365 in almost any situation, which is a trigger to organizations that puts importance on offering mobile-friendly versions of their eCommerce sites.

In a report from Custora that analyzed data from 100 retailers, 70 million consumers and transactions totaling $10 billion in revenue, it was found that mobile eCommerce, also referred to as mobile commerce or mCommerce, continues to grow at an accelerating pace.

Looking at data from the first quarter of 2010, only 3.4 percent of total visitors to an eCommerce site came from mobile devices, which includes smartphones and tablets. Fast forward to the first quarter of 2014 and that percentage jumps to 36.9. See chart below for more detailed information.

Mobile Commerce Stats

Even with the spike in eCommerce website traffic stemming from mobile devices, consumers still most often make purchases from a desktop computer. Data showed that while 36.9 percent of eCommerce site visits were made using smartphones and tablets, 76.9 percent of orders made online during Q1 of 2014 were done using a desktop computer. Purchases made online using mobile devices accounted for the remaining 23.1 percent. Further, 81.8 percent of revenue came from purchases made on desktops and just 18.2 percent on mobile devices.

There are some restrictions smartphones and tablets have when compared to a desktop computer. In particular on a smartphone, proceeding through checkout can take more time and be a bit more difficult. Mobile devices also have smaller screen sizes, whereas viewing products on a desktop is much better.

Responsive web design is the best answer for an eCommerce site consumers can easily browse from a smartphone or tablet. Learn more here, or visit our website to learn about the responsive eCommerce solution we offer. And, look for our next blog post about tools that can be used to drive mobile purchases.

Leave a Reply